Sunday, May 20, 2012

You and Survival

                   Survival, the fact of remaining alive or in existence, but to some the word survival ignites an animal-like instinct that is difficult to ignore. Going to crazy measure to ensure life tomorrow will always be a human priority. With so many jobs centered on prolonging life, death is not something most people look forward to. They will go to great measures to ensure not only their life, but others as well. When it comes to my survival, I believe I would do all sorts of things.

                My survival tops a lot of other priorities, but putting my life before someone else’s is not something I could easily do. Sure, in self defense, I would not think about it twice. In The Guardian, a movie focused on the coast guard, there is a perfect example of selfish survival instincts. At the beginning of the movie the story opens with a husband and wife that are stranded in the ocean and when the main character tries to save them the husband uses his wife as a flotation device putting her life at risk. In those shear panic situations, it is hard to imagine what I would do. Thinking about the scenario I cannot imagine doing that, but in the heat of the moment will my thoughts be just as rational?
              

I can definitely say, if put in the situation of being kidnapped or taken, I would not just “go quietly.” I would put up a fight and do everything I could to get away, not only physically but mentally trying everything to fake out my kidnappers and escape. Ultimately, I would rather be difficult and fight than let them take me, even if I lost and it meant a sooner death. Battling my attackers, I would not rest and I feel sorry for anyone who decides to mess with me.
               

One day I will be met with a situation that maybe could put my life at risk. I think, the way I react to that situation will say a lot about my character. Will fear take over my senses, or will I have enough sense to think logically and come up with the best solution?

No comments:

Post a Comment